- Travel & Leisure
Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook
Worldwide Cycling Route & Planning Guide
32pp colour photos
over 250 B&W photos
135mm x 210mm 5-1/2" x 8"
- Very useful for cyclists going further afield.
- Cycle magazine
- The author, Stephen Lord, is an example to us all. He used to be a banker but he chucked it in to cycle the world.
- Matt Rudd, The Sunday Times
- An excellent investment
- The Sunday Times
- Inspiring...and gives plenty of advice on where to get more specific help.
- Essential for anyone planning a mammoth cycle trip.
- This extensive bible covers all you need to know.
- Cycling Active
- Solid gold, and a joy to read.
- The definitive guide to how, where, why and what to do on a cycle expedition...
- Adventure Travel Magazine
- Recommended in "First time...Cycle touring" by Rob Penn
Third edition of the book that has become the cycle-tourist's Bible. Harriet & Neil Pike have updated and expanded Stephen Lord's inspirational guide.
Every cyclist dreams of making the big Trip, the Grand Cycle Tour abroad. Whether that's a two-week trip or a year-long journey, the Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook is the comprehensive manual that will make the dream a reality. Riding the Karakoram Highway, cycling in Tibet or pedalling from Patagonia to Alaska, whether you're planning your own Big Trip or just enjoy reading about other people's adventures, the Handbook is guaranteed to illuminate, entertain and above all, inspire.
Fully updated 3rd edition of the guide to worldwide long-distance trips - from two-week tours to epic adventures of many months or more. The book is divided into seven sections:
- Part 1: Planning and preparation What kind of ride? – Seasons – Budget and time – Companions – Researching information – Documentation – Visas – Insurance – Money – Health
- Part 2 Bikes, Clothing & Camping Gear Narrowing down your bike choices - Frame material and component options - Top touring bikes – Comfort zone – Tools and spares - Carrying luggage – How much stuff? – Bikepacking setup; Clothing – Footwear; Camping – Tents – Sleeping bags and mats – Stoves – Treating water – Kitchen essentials – Electronic devices
- Part 3 On the road Transporting your bike – Navigating – Staying in touch – Health – Hygiene – Staying Safe – Dirt-road riding
- Part 4 Route Outlines – Europe to Asia & Australasia Practical information and touring tips for: Europe – Southern route through Turkey, Iran and Pakistan –Indian subcontinent – Caucasus – Central Asia – Northern route through Russia & Mongolia – East Asia – South East Asia – Australasia.
- Part 5 Route Outlines – Africa Practical information and touring tips for: the Nile Route – East and Southern Africa – the Sahara – West and Central Africa.
- Part 6 Route Outlines – the Americas Practical information and touring tips for: Pan-American Highway - Alaska to the Lower 48 – Pacific Coast Route – Great Divide Mountain Bike Route – Mexico and Central America – Negotiating the Darien Gap – Riding the Andes from Colombia to Patagonia .
- Part 7 Tales from the Saddle Seven first-hand accounts of spoke-bending biking adventures worldwide.
- Appendix - Bicycle Maintenance
Read an Excerpt:
- Planning (sample section)
- Sample route outline: Peru
- Tales from the Saddle (sample)
Price: £15.99 buy online now…